Heartburn occurs as the result of the increased secretion of stomach acid; we experience it as pain in the upper stomach or sometimes in the oesophagus. It’s a problem that one out of ten people have to deal with and is more frequent among older people, men and pregnant women.
Because the oesophageal lining has a different composition to the stomach lining and is therefore less protected, it can be damaged by acid. The recurring, frequent and extended reflux of acid into the oesophagus may lead to serious medical problems, so you should act as soon as possible.
Excessive secretion of stomach acid can seriously damage your health.
The reasons for heartburn may include:
- Poor diet and heavy meals
- Certain foods and drinks (chocolate, tomatoes, coffee, alcohol, fizzy drinks);
- Excessive body weight, smoking, lying down after a meal, tight clothes, working while bent over, lifting heavy objects;
- Taking certain medicines.
To alleviate these problems:
- Change your lifestyle and habits and reduce stress, both physical and psychological;
- Eat light food and avoid heavy meals;
- Avoid things like coffee, alcohol and cigarettes;
- Maintain a healthy weight;
- Sleep with your head raised;
- Chew food well;
- Eat slowly and have several lighter meals rather than a few big ones;
- Drink at least 2 litres of water a day.
How Donat Mg® helps with heartburn
The stomach makes 2 to 3 litres of acidic fluids each day. These consist mostly of hydrochloric acid and pepsin (an enzyme that speeds up the metabolism of proteins).
Donat Mg® contains approximately 7,800 mg of hydrogen carbonate. This high hydrogen carbonate content has a great capacity for bonding to acids and buffering free acids. It bonds to stomach acid in equal amounts.
Therefore Donat Mg® is a natural replacement for medicines against excess stomach acid.
In cases of serious or chronic complaint, please consult your doctor.
Important: Donat Mg® must not be taken by patients with alkalosis.